Beginning in 1949 Ukrainian Catholics in Miami began to gather in rented spaces to celebrate the Eucharist -Divine Liturgy. In 1953, given the growth and stability of the congregation, the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded.

The cornerstone of the present church of Assumption Mary Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Miami was blessed by the Archbishop of Philadelphia and Metropolitan for Ukrainian Catholics in the USA, Constantine Bohachevsky, on February 24, 1958.

At the present time the parish serves primarily Ukrainian Catholics in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, though some people travel from as far as the Keys in the South or Melbourne in the North to participate in the Eucharist – Divine Liturgy and parish life.

Services at Assumption Parish are conducted in both the English and Ukrainian languages. The parish welcomes Catholics and all people of good will who wish to worship God in the Byzantine Tradition. The Sacrament of Reconciliation and spiritual direction are offered in Spanish and Italian as well as English and Ukrainian.

The parish has a choir, a Sunday School of Religious Studies and Ukrainian Culture, a charitable outreach group and an amateur theatrical group. The iconpainting in the present church building are the work of the well-known iconographers, Sviatoslav Hordynsky and Sorin Beltsiv.

Top